By now most of us are aware that regular exercise, eating five a day, and reducing our alcohol intake are sure ways to achieve good physical health.
However, many of us are unaware of what good mental and emotional health feels like.
One thing is for sure, we will find it difficult to embark upon a healthy regime and restore our physical well-being, if we can’t find the mental capacity and motivation to undertake the necessary steps to achieve our goals.
What is good health? At Ancora we define Good Health as not only an absence of illness but also a healthy state of mind. One when an individual feels a range of emotions that lead to a feeling of mental and spiritual wholeness.
The wish for healing has always been half of health.Lucius Annaeus Seneca
You know whether you have good mental, emotional, and spiritual health when:
- You have the capacity to deal with change and uncertainty Our lives are often fraught with uncertainty; we never really know what a day will bring. If we can roll with the punches and deal with life events then we have the capacity to deal with change and uncertainty
- You have the capacity to express and manage the whole variety of emotions that a human being possesses Being a human being can be tricky. We have a whole range of thoughts and emotional responses that flood us from the moment we are awake to the moment we sleep. Being healthy means that we are open to all that it is to be human.
- You have the capacity to learn Someone who is emotionally and mentally healthy will usually have increased self knowledge and awareness. When we have an increased self awareness, we are better able to spot warning signs such as getting stressed or over anxious and so we are more likely to act more quickly instead of ignoring symptoms or being unaware of them completely.
- You can form and maintain relationships that you choose Developing and building a strong supportive network around you of people whom you value and love can be integral to an emotionally fulfilling life. Seeing yourself as part of a loving and caring network of friends and family can increases feelings of wellness.
- You do not require others approval Emotionally healthy people are normally confident with whom they are. They do not seek others opinion of them and do not seek approval. Not requiring others approval means that you place a higher value on your opinion of yourself and your actions than you do on what others think. You are more at peace evaluating who you are than opening it up for discussion.
Individuals with good mental and emotional health can also suffer from conditions such as stress, anxiety, and depression at certain times.